Thursday 26 May 2011

Getting to Know Singapore

In the next few posts, I will begin to describe daily life in Singapore.

Transport
I am slowly getting used to Singapore, though this is only my second full day.  Everyone here is extremely nice, helpful and friendly.   I was surprised just how nice the people are.    Everyone goes out of their way to help you find your way and answer questions.  One guy saw that I was lost and walked me clear across campus yesterday!  Singapore has 4.5 million people.  Chicago for example also has a huge population, but the people of Chicago nation are not as kind.
                                                  
Speaking of getting around, here is how it is done.  Check out this link: http://www.gothere.sg/maps

Every seen such a cool aide for travel?  Type in NUS for example (which is where I work) to say zoo for example (i.e. NUS to zoo).  Public transport here is so well organized, efficient, quick, and cheap! 

Here is a pic of the MRT (subway system).  Looks like a monorail!  The buses branch of from MRT stops and come every few minutes.  Lines queue as seen in this photo.   Between the “monorail” and queuing for buses, I kind of feel like I am in Disney World.

Urban Rainforest
Singapore has the world’s only urban rainforest which I will be visiting soon!  According to my guide book, there are more types of vegetation on Singapore than in the entirety of North America.  NUS (National University of Singapore) where I work, is not technically a rainforest anymore due to urbanization, however, I snapped some photos of the vegetation, so have a look.





No comments:

Post a Comment