Sunday 3 July 2011

Arab Street



Last Thursday night our friend and colleague Sae'dah kindly invited us out for a meal on Arab Street.  We all hopped on the bus at NUS together, transferred to the MRT train line, and walked the rest of the way.  This is what people here called taking the BMW. 

The meal itself was a lot of fun.  We were in great company, with great food, in a great ambiance.  Our table was ground-level; well, maybe more coffee table level.  We sat on cushions on the floor.  All around us, the sides were enclosed with silk (or silk-like) drapes.  The multi course meal we ate began with humus and babaganous (which I likened to humus, and Meghan thought derived from eggplant).  After that we had soup - I selected the chicken option.  Following this was the highlight, the main course.  I ate Kofta for dinner which is rolled lamb meat pieces which included some tasty spices.  And finally for dessert...well the name now eludes me, but it incorporated honey and butter into a tasty little cake.

For two hours we talked of work, fun, our respective countries and general life.  I was a real pleasure getting to know Sae'dah better and hearing all her insights on Singaporean life.  I don't often eat meals like this either by cuisine type or eating style.  And I have to say it was a lot of fun.  I really enjoyed the laid back social atmosphere created by sitting on cushions and lounging around the table.  If you haven't had a meal like this before - either in terms of seating or the actual food, I would recommend you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment